About Perry County Veterans Service Commission
Perry County Veterans Service Commission
Annette Moore, Director/CVSO
128 S. Main Street
New Lexington, OH 43764
(740) 342-2536 - Phone
(740) 342-3984 - Fax
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Closed the last Monday of the month.
Financial Assistance: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The Veterans Service Commission is a county agency funded entirely by Perry County real estate taxes dedicated to aiding Veterans and their families in time of need. Our agency provides three basic services: transportation to VA medical appointments, emergency financial assistance, and assistance with processing VA claims and benefits.
The Veterans Service Commission provides free transportation to VA medical appointments within the VA Medical district we are in. This service is provided for any veteran who, because of health or financial issues, cannot transport themselves. To schedule transportation you must contact the office at least 24 hours prior to your appointment to see if transportation is available. You must provide the office a copy of your discharge papers prior to your first scheduled appointment.
Emergency Financial Assistance
We provide temporary financial assistance to eligible Veterans and their families up to four times per year. Assistance includes food, utilities (disconnection notices only), or rent payments. Assistance with a utility or rent is authorized only one time per calendar year.
It should be remembered, this assistance is to help a Veteran resolve a temporary financial crisis and that this is not an entitlement.
Financial Assistance Eligibility
- .The veteran whose service the application is made must have been discharged under honorable conditions and served on active duty for other than training purposes.
- The applicant must be a bona fide resident of Perry County for at least 90 days prior to applying for assistance.
- Financial need must be shown. All household income, living expenses, and any special needs of the applicant will be considered when determining eligibility for financial assistance
Documents Required for Financial Assistance
- DD Form 214, or discharge, with proof of length and character of service.
- Marriage certificate, SSN, and birth certificates of minor biological or adopted children of the veteran, divorce papers.
- Proof of all household income for the last 30 days to include: work statements, Social Security Statement, Job & Family Services statement, and current bank statements.
- If unemployed you must be registered with the Ohio Job & Family Services and prove you are seeking employment.
- Proof of all bills you have paid out in the last 30 days: rent, mortgage, etc.
Assistance with VA Claims and Benefits
We provide assistance to veterans and their dependents with the processing of VA claims and/or for any federal, state, or local benefits they may be eligible for.
Claims/ Benefits Eligibility
Each claim and/or benefit has it’s own eligibility criteria set by the federal, state, or local level. There are no requirements set by our office to receive assistance with claims and/or benefits processing.
The Service Officer and staff receive annual training to stay informed of any legislative changes to veterans benefits.
You may need to supply specific documentation to support your claim or for the benefits you are requesting.
Typically the veteran or dependent should have the following:
- DD Form 214 or discharge (DD214)
- Marriage certificate, SSN, birth certificates of spouse, minor biological or adopted children of the veteran; and banking info.
The Perry County Veterans Service Commission was established for the purpose of providing emergency financial assistance to veterans and their dependents who have met unexpected hardships as a result of illness, injury, or loss of employment.
“...to care for him who bore the battle, and for his widow and his orphan…” - Abraham Lincoln
American Legion: Richard Fankhauser
Disabled Veterans of America: Jeff Taylor
Vietnam Veterans Of America: Richard Hoy, II
AMVETS: Kenny Harris
Veterans of Foreign Wars: Don Capps
Board meetings are held on the last Monday of the month at 4:00 p.m. These meetings are open to the public except when discussing Financial Assistance claims.
County Veterans Service Officer: Annette Moore
Administrative Specialist: Gwen Ray
Drivers/Investigators: Eric Self