Perry County Waste Reduction & Recycling - March 2017 Eco-Tip
Is Polystyrene (known as Styrofoam) a good choice for holding our food and drink?
Lots of research…lots of sources… the bottom line…
Polystyrene creates waste that does not go away and impacts our environment by releasing pollutants into the air & water.
A simple list of why we might want to avoid using polystyrene:
- Emits harmful gases during manufacture
- Among the top 5 contributors to marine & ocean pollution
- When burned, it puts out harmful fumes…
- When heated it leaks tiny doses of styrene chemicals into food and drink
- Economically unviable for recycling…transport cost will exceed its value
~ USEPA, Infomory.com, Worldwatch.org, etc.
“Conservation (wise use) is a state of harmony between man and land.”
~ Aldo Leopold
Respectfully yours in wise use!
Perry County Waste Reduction & Recycling
2231 SR 13, PO Box 621
New Lexington, OH 43764
WASTE LESS ~ RECYCLE MORE!
Reuse it if you can
“The environment and the economy are really both two sides of the same coin.
If we cannot sustain the environment, we cannot sustain ourselves.”
~ Wangari Maathai